Sunday 18 March 2007

the beginning

Poppy started 'little kinder' at the local Steiner school this year.

She is only going to two sessions a week, but it feels like the beginning of a big big thing. The start of all of those years of school, the terms, the holidays, friendships, animosities, learning, joy, heartache. And at the end of it all, she'll be grown. It is going to be quick! I want to hold it in my hands, feel the time trickle through - not let it happen without noticing.

First day went off without a hitch - I left within 20 minutes of arriving, she was fine! I shed a quick tear in the carpark, and at playgroup when I got there with Leo. Arrived to pick her up a little early, so waited in the car...good mum, not too eager. And went in: she was awash, crying on her teacher's lap. Apparently they had finished early. And I was not the first mum in when the door opened. Suddenly she missed me very very much and thought I wasn't coming.

So, a penance applies: I am to arrive 15 minutes early every time, and listen to the story in circle time, so that she knows I'm there. I'm sure that this will wear off. And I happen to like a story as much as anyone.

Anyway, I made her a bag to take, as prescribed: drawstring, big enough for a change of clothes, hat, coat, slippers. And assorted friends who are under strict instructions to stay in the bag (blue bunny; that means you!).


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog. I hope you are going to post lots about your daighters steiner experience - we are oohing and aahing about it at the moment but still have a few years to decide. Im not looking forward to the little ones going off without me!

Suse said...

Ah, another Steiner school family!

Thanks for visiting my blog, and my wee party! You didn't have far to travel to go home, I see.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh wanted to comment on your latest post, but there wasn't a comment link. Anyway, hello, greetings from Darwin NT. Found you off a comment you made at Pea Soup. How sweet, you are in the throws of starting preschool & all that fun. I just got number 4 off to preschool this year, so much fun, best part is the way he screams "mum" & runs & leaps into my arms in a tuck jump, for a timed hug of 20 seconds, as i start to loose oxygen to my brain. My 3 girls were a tad more dismissive, like "here's the woman who picks us up". Hmmmm . . . boys love their mummies. Happy days. Love Posie